Thursday, April 29, 2010

Soft Machine - NDR Jazz Workshop - 1973 CD + DVD


Being a huge Canterbury scene fan since a young age I never had the chance to work on anything related to that special style of progressive music -well maybe besides recording and mixing for Brainville 3 's (Daevid Allen Hugh Hopper & Chris Cutler) Trial By Headline cd.
Anyway I was more then delighted and thrilled when Steve Feigenbaum of Cuneiform Records and the legendary Wayside Music mail order asked be to take part and work on restoring and mastering Soft Machine's NDR Jazz Workshop -Hamburg, Germany 1973 cd+ dvd.
So this was kind of like making a full circle for me since most of my knowledge about all things Canterbury came mostly from reading those colorful Wayside Music catalogs .
The original audio that came with the broadcast video left a lot to be desired for(the problem was it had only a part of the audio content and the fidelity was a bit low). Knowing there was also a stereo radio broadcast of the show So Steve set out on a mission to locate these tapes and after a few weeks of searching negotiating and nail biting (audio files caught in a massive snow storm) I was delighted to finally receive the fresh transfer of the master tapes.
Working on the audio of this concert was a pleasure -The performance of the group is extremely good the playing was energetic and gave a strong sense of liveliness On my part:Some enhancing of the stereo image a bit of work on retaining the dynamic range of the original performance ,making sure the tonal balance is optimized and voila !
The last task was converting and laying the audio from the radio broadcast on the video (which looks fantastic btw) and making sure its fits the picture with 100% accuracy (utilizing the latest software programs).
So this is one of the projects I recently did that i enjoyed immensely - Thanks a lot to Steve Feigenbaum ,Aymeric Le Roy and Joerg Reinicke !


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

te pasaste joya

Anonymous said...

אתה בנאדם עלוב שחושב שהוא ביג שוט.
בגדול אתה כולה מקמפרס סאונד וחושב שאתה מלחין גדול.

תרגיע טורים אדיוט

Matthew Watkins said...

I think you might like my new Canterbury-oriented podcast (broadcasting directly from Canterbury, UK):

http://canterburysoundwaves.blogspot.com

Enjoy!

muddywaters12strg said...

Nice post. I recently started writing some songs, but I didn't have the skills to master them on my own.  Check out this online mixing studio, they had great prices!

-b9 said...

Q: why is almost everything about sex in this country? A: exactly what the abject, sinister devil knows we're weakest on. PROMPTLY DELETE THIS if you aren't seeking Heaven...

I realize the following is above any other superfluous objective mosta U.S. mortals can conceive; however, while I didn't descend into Hell for my sins, I ascended till I saw the Celestial City far away. Wanna heer bout it??

Lemme fill-you-up withe efficacious epiphany, the avant-gardness and necessary wisdom to achieve Heaven, dear, if ya desire Heaven (many DON'T, preferring to stay 'laissez-faire' [i dont care] till death. Strange. The only other realm is one which you wont feel too cool).

If 'freedom lies in being bold' (Robert Frost), doesn't pushing-the-envelope also result in the Elysian Fields of Utopia? And if I'm the sower, we plant the Seed; if I'm an artist, we RITE the symphonies heard Upstairs ☆IF☆ we accept His lead withe orchestra...

Wanna find-out the fax, Jak, in a wurld fulla the 'power of cowards'? Wanna wiseabove to help a poor 'Plethora Of Wurdz' [POW!] which are look'n for a new home in thy novelty?? Yay!

Q: But [gulp] can anyone tell me the difference between K2/IQ? A: Nthn. In Heaven, we gitt'm both HA! Need a few more thots, ideers, wild wurdz (whoa, Nelly! easy, girl!) or ironclad iconoclasms?

VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI (Latin: words to [the] wise): As an ex-writer of the sassy, savvy, schizophenia we all go thro in this lifelong demise, I wanna help U.S. git past the ping-pong, pop-cult-politixx, the whorizontal more!ass! we're in and wiseabove to 'in fin sine fin' (Latin: in [the] End without End -Saint Augustine).

"This finite existence is only a test, son," God Almighty told me in my coma. "Far beyond thy earthly tempest you'll find tangible, corpulent eloquence". Lemme tella youse without d'New Joisey accent...

I actually saw Seventh-Heaven when we died: you couldn't GET!! any moe curly, party-hardy-endorphins, low-hanging-fruit of the Celestial Paradise, extravagantly-surplus-lush Upstairs (awww! baby kitties, too!!) when my beautifull, brilliant, bombastic girly passed-away due to those wry, sardonic satires...

"Those who are wise will shine as brightly as the expanse of the Heavens, and those who have instructed many in uprightousness as bright as stars for all eternity" -Daniel 12:3, NJB

Here's also what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

Go gitt'm, girly. You're incredible. You're indelible. Cya soon. I won't be joining'm in the nasty Abyss where Isis prowls
thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com
infowars.com
JohnLeary.com
-YOUTHwitheTRUTH
-------------------------------
God blessa youse
(trustNjesus)
-Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL
☆refuse2Bindifferent☆